This weekend's Anchorage Daily News contained an article about a young man involved in a serious motor vehicle accident that resulted in catastrophic injuries in a situation in which the responsible driver most likely had minimal insurance. See http://community.adn.com/adn/node/162381 In cases in which the responsible driver has inadequate insurance, clients ask what possible help a lawyer can be. Here are some of the steps a lawyer will take to try and help the injured person.
1. Investigate the existence of other Insurance policies that could potentially provide coverage for the injuries and losses.
2. Recover the available insurance of the responsible driver.
3. Investigate the potential responsibilities of persons other than the driver.
4. Assist in filing an Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Claim under the insurance of the injured person..
5. Investigate the possibility of additional Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist insurance coverage.
6. Negotiate discounts and forgiveness of liens of medical providers, health insurers, Medicare and Medicaid.
Of course, depending on the specific facts, there may be other issues. In catastrophic accidents, it is even more important to play your hand smartly. See www.Junelawyer.com